Saturday 30 April 2011

Royal Wedding (Kate and William)

The wedding ceremony has an interesting phonetic side to it because one can hear fairly clearly the voices of two different generations of RP speakers - the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams, representative of the generation of older RP speakers - and Kate and William, who illustrate a more modern type of RP. Of particular interest are those sections in which William and Kate repeat what the archbishop says first. You can watch the video clip here, but I don't know for how long. That's why I downloaded it for further analysis.

Here's the text of the interesting section (A = Archbishop of Canterbury, W = William, K = Kate)
A: I require and charge you both, as ye will answer at the dreadful day of judgement when the secrets of all hearts shall be disclosed, that if either of you know any impediment, why ye may not be lawfully joined together in matrimony, ye do now confess it. For be ye well assured, that so many as are coupled together otherwise than God's word doth allow are not joined together by God; neither is their Matrimony lawful.
A: William Arthur Philip Louis, wilt thou have this woman to thy wedded wife, to live together according to God’s law in the holy estate of matrimony? Wilt thou love her, comfort her, honour and keep her, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto her, so long as ye both shall live?
W: I will.
A: Catherine Elizabeth, wilt thou have this man to thy wedded husband to live together according to God’s law in the holy estate of matrimony? Wilt thou love him, comfort him, honour and keep him, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all other, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?
 K: I will.
A: Who giveth this woman to be married to this man?
A: I, William Arthur Philip Louis,
W: I, William Arthur Philip Louis,
A: : take thee, Catherine Elizabeth
W: take thee, Catherine Elizabeth
A: to my wedded wife,
W: to my wedded wife,
A: to have and to hold from this day forward,
W: to have and to hold from this day forward,
A: for better, for worse:
W: for better, for worse:
A: for richer, for poorer;
W: for richer, for poorer;
A: in sickness and in health;
W: in sickness and in health;
A: to love and to cherish,
W: to love and to cherish,
A: till death us do part,
W: till death us do part,
A: according to God's holy law;
W: according to God's holy law;
A: and thereto I give thee my troth.
W: and thereto I give thee my troth.
[same procedure follows]
K: I, Catherine Elizabeth, take thee, William Arthur Philip Louis to my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse: for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; to love and to cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy law; and thereto I give thee my troth.
A: Bless, O Lord, this ring, and grant that he who gives it and she who shall wear it may remain faithful to each other and abide in thy peace and favour, and live together in love until their lives' end. To Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
A: With this ring I thee wed.
W: With this ring I thee wed.
A: With my body I thee honour.
W: With my body I thee honour.
A: And all my worldly goods with thee I share.
W: And all my worldly goods with thee I share.
A: In the name of the Father
W: In the name of the Father
A: and of the Son
W: and the Son
A: and of the Holy Ghost
W: and of the Holy Ghost
A: Amen.
W: Amen.
A: Let us pray [...]
credit for all photos on this page "The Royal Channel"
More to come in a later blog entry!

2 comments:

  1. Poor Dr Williams has a bit of a lisp, "In sickness and in health" sounded more like "In thickness and in health".

    ReplyDelete
  2. @vp: This lisp that one hears rather seems to be due either to the recording conditions or some temporary tongue problem His Excellency has, e.g. a tongue ulcer. Other video clips illustrate that his s-sounds are impeccable.

    ReplyDelete