How to keep your articulatory expenses low in English!
- Take a sip of cool refreshing water on a hot summer day and say: "/ɑː/"
- A: "My dog just died". B: "/ɔː/"
- A door slams on your finger and you shout: "/aʊ/"
- A: "The new film XY is shown on TV tonight." B (with mild surprise): "/əʊ/"
- You're driving much too fast and you see a speed camera ahead: "/ˈʔʌˈʔəʊ/"
- There's a fly in your soup: "/uːːː/"
- You spill your tea while pouring: "/uːps/"
- You finally understand the problem: "/ʔəˈhɑː/"
- You don't hear what someone says: "/hʌ̃/"
- No - as a reply to a question: "/ˈʔʌ̃ˈʔə̃/"
- Yes - as a reply to a question: "/ə̃ˈhʌ̃/"