Thursday 8 March 2012

My Family

credit: BBC
I'm watching the BBC sitcom My Family. In one scene Susan Harper, the mother, reminds her daughter Janey of an appointment she has with the local council to submit a petition. Janey has tarted herself up, which her mother Susan doesn't like.

Daniela Denby-Ashe as Janey Harper
credit: BBC

So Susan says reproachfully: "You should be wearing an outfit that says: 'Take me seriously' not: 'Take me seriously'" (I deliberately left out any punctuation marks). If you're an EFL learner, how would you say these sentences to get the message across?

The answer will be posted here at a later date (including a sound file illustrating how the actress said the two sentences).

Here's how Susan Harper (played by Zoë Wanamaker) said the two sentences:

Zoë Wanamaker as Susan Harper
credit: ??

1 comment: