Thursday 30 August 2012

after the after-lunch chat



Jack Windsor Lewis (= JWL) in his blog 417 compares my (= Kraut) intuitive transcription of the chat between Fry and Hockney with his, which is based on the original radio transmission.
To enable my followers to compare these transcriptions with the original sound track, I’m putting it online (in the hope the BBC won’t mind). Please remember that my transcription does not try to represent the sound tracks.

Kraut ɪts wʌndəfl tə θɪŋk əv hʌndədz əv θaʊznz əv piːpl aʊt ðɛː | ən ɪf wi bəʊθ sed ðə wɜːd | aɪ dən nəʊ | tɜːkwɔɪz | wɒts ɪn piːplz maɪndz |
JWL ɪts `wᴧndəfl | tə θɪŋk əv `hᴧndədz əv θaʊznz ə piːpl `aʊt ˏðɛː | ən ɪf ˈwiː ˈbəʊθ | ˈseɪ ðə ˈwɜːd | ˈəm | ˈaɪ ˈdɜːnt ˈnəʊ | `tɜːkwaɪz | ˈwɒt ˈɪz | ɪn piːplz ˎmaɪnd.



Kraut jes | a miːn | ɪts ə lɪtl bɪt dɪfrənt frəm wɒts raɪzɪŋ ʌp ɪn ðeə hed | a miːn wɪr ɔːl ɒn ɑːr əʊn | ɑːn wi |
JWL ˎjӕs | ɑː ˈmiːn | ˈɪts | ɪts ə lɪdl bɪt `dɪfrənt. sᴧmθɪŋz ˈ(b)raɪzɪŋ | ᴧp ɪn ðə `hed. ɛː ˈmiːn | wɪr ɔːl ɒn ɑːr `əʊn | ˈɑːn ˈwi …



Kraut ɪt siːmz tə bi |
JWL `jes ɪt `siːmz tə ˏbiː.



Kraut jes tɪz | [section omitted] rɪmembə | ɪt wəz dɒktə ɡɜːblz hu veri ɜːli ɒn | baɪ naɪntiːn θɜːti θriː | rɪəlaɪzd ðət reɪdiəʊ wʊdm bi ðæk ɡʊd fə prɒɡændə | fɪlm wʊb bi betə | bikəz ɪn fɪlm evribɒdi sɔː ðə seɪm θɪŋ | ɒn ðə reɪdiəʊ ðeɪ dɪdnt |
JWL `jes ɪt ˎɪz. [ jər `ɔːwɪz gedɪŋ bӕk tə ðӕt. dju]. ˈmemˈbər  ˈᴧ | ɪt  wəz ˈdɒktə ˎgəʊblz | u ˈveri ˈɜːli ˎɒn | ˈnaɪnˈtiːn | θɜːti ˎθriː | ˈrɪəˈlaɪz ðət | ˈreɪdiəʊ wʊdn bi ðӕt `gʊd fə prɒpəˏgӕndə. `fɪlm | wʊd bi `betə | bikəz ɪn `ˏfɪlm | evribɒdi sɔː ðə seɪm `θɪŋ. ɒn ˈreɪdiəʊ | ðeɪ ˎdɪdnt.


   

3 comments:

  1. Only listened once and not very carefully, but it seems to me that Mr Fry's think vowel in no. 1 isn't any less close than Mr Hockney's last vowel in aren' we at the end of no. 2 and Mr Fry's own last vowel in seems to be in no. 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kraut (from Kevin*)

    When I first saw the /hʌndədz/ (clip 1) in your original posting, I attributed the lack of an /r/ to a typo on your part. But now that I see JWL similarly omitting the sound, I'm beginning to wonder if my ears are not playing tricks. I'm certain I hear /hʌndrədz/.

    I agree with JWL on /seɪ/ for /sed/ and /dɜːnt nəʊ/ for /dən nəʊ/ -- but since you said (if I understood you correctly) that your transcription was based on the written rather than the sound version of the broadcast je n'accuse pas in those two cases :-)

    I think, however, there must be another typo in JWL's transcription of SF's "turquoise": /tɜːkwaɪz/ was surely meant to be /tɜːkwaːz/.

    * Am getting "URL contains illegal characters" for some reason when I try to comment using Name/URL

    ReplyDelete
  3. →Lipman Please look at the caveats in my Blog. I wou·dn argue if someone sed they were both borderline cases. Vowels of weak syllables offen provoke one to forced choices in dou·tfl cases.

    →Anon You may be hearing some feint lingual rhotic gesture but there's cert·nly no clear /r/.
    I pondered on 'turquoise' but having no impression of rounding after the /w/but a very short sequence not sustained enuff to suggest an /ɑː/and seeming weakly to fade to a slightly closer quality, I was forced to go for /aɪ/. JWL

    ReplyDelete