Here are some more or less frequent mistakes which popped up in this semester's viva voces:
- word-final fortissification (e.g. bag -> back)
- the TRAP vowel is replaced by the DRESS vowel
- the word ending <-ction> is pronounced /-kʧən/
- /v/ and /w/ are mixed up
- word-initial /br, bl, dr, gr, gl, ʤ/ are replaced by /pr, pl, tr, kr, kl, ʧ/
- one man, but two /mən/ or /mɪn/
- he was /bjurɪd, bərɪd, bʌrɪd/ in a /tɒm(b)/
- determined may materialise as /'detəmaɪnd, dɪ'tɜːmaɪnd, 'diːtəmaɪnd/
- sentence-final hotel or unfair are stressed /'həʊtəl/ and /'ʌnfeə/.
For some the phrase Edith's birthday poses serious problems.