Thursday 19 April 2012

Hotel Babylon

I must admit I'm not very good (putting it mildly) at GB accents. Can you do me a favour and listen to this voice?

credit: Carnival Films


Now, can you tell me which area of the realm this lady comes from (or pretends to come from)?
I can provide you with subtitles in case you don't understand the torrent of sounds coming out of this beautiful mouth.

As I've been asked for subtitles, here they are:

Flipping paps have been following me everywhere.

I can't even powder me nose without someone jumping out from behind a bush. 

Depends on how much they pay me.

See what I mean? It's a nightmare. I haven't got lippy on me teeth, have I?

Oh, 'cause I hate it when they snap me looking like a minger.

12 comments:

  1. It's horrible quality but my first impression is that it might be Newcastle or at any rate somewhere in the far northeast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the mediocre quality. It's a copy of the soundtrack of a YouTube video clip.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gonna try to find out who the actress is and where she spent her speech-forming years

      Delete
    2. @Lipman: Exactly! That's her! And a genuine Liverpudlian. Wikipedia mentions her appearance in Hotel Babylon

      Delete
    3. I must confess the last time I guessed an accent was Ulster it turned out to be Manchester (or perhaps the other way round)

      Delete
  3. Thanks to all of you for 'orienting' the lady accentwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the accent of my native area so I'm kind of bilingual. Sooner or later I'll do a post on it.

    @Sidney: Liverpool, like Ulster (and Birmingham, Newcastle, and Glasgow), has default intonational rises. Manchester, like Southern British, has default falls. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete