Wednesday 5 June 2013

minimal pair sentences with weakforms - #2

Here's a list of sentences which form minimal pairs due to the use of a word used either in its strongform or its weakform.

1.  You mean that /ðәt/ Guy is your boyfriend? - You mean that /ðæt/ guy is your boyfriend?
2.  I shall send the one with chocolate. - I shall send thee one with chocolate.
3.  After the incident, he’s taken to aspirin. - After the incident, he’s taken two aspirin.
4.  They saw that /ðət/ petrol can /kən/ explode. - They saw that /ðæt/ petrol can /kæn/ explode.
5.  They'll have /əv/ boiled eggs. - They'll have /hæv/ boiled eggs.
6.  He's eaten something he shouldn't have /əv/. - He's eaten something he shouldn't have /hæv/.
7.  There /ðə/ shouldn't be a problem. - There /ðeə/ shouldn't be a problem.
8.  Look at /əp/ Bill's address. - Look up /ʌp/ Bill's address.
9.  Did she arrive at a quarter to /tə/ two? - Did she arrive at a quarter to /tuː/ too?
10.  That's the reason I chose those for children. - That's the reason I chose those four children.
11.  The electrician left for Leeds this morning. - The electrician left four leads this morning.
12.  Father's bringing home /sʌm/ missionary for dinner. - Father's bringing home /səm, sm/ missionary for dinner.
13.  I'm giving her a picture that I shall have /hæv/ painted by Christmas. - I'm giving her a picture that I shall have /həv/ painted by Christmas.
14.  I've only known it four /fɔː/ weeks. - I've only known it for /fə/ weeks.
15.  He was going too /tuː/ fast. - He was going to /tə/ fast.
16.  A: I was 18 months before I could walk. B: I was /wəz/ two - B: I was /wɒz/, too.
17.  A: Which flight are you on? B: The 526 /faɪv tuː sɪks/. - B: The five to six /faɪv tə sɪks/.
18.  Bread and /n/ butter. - Bread and /ænd/ butter.
19.  I expect that /ðæt/ John told them. - I expect that /ðәt/ John told them.
20.  Jack was brave, but not so /səʊ/ Marmaduke. - Jack was brave, but not Sir /sə/ Marmaduke.
21.  She pinched his but /bət/ only for a second. - She pinched his butt /bʌt/ only for a second.
22.  Fish nor /nə/ flesh. - Fish gnaw /nɔː/ flesh.
23.  I won't buy an /ən/ old paper. - I won't buy Ann /æn/ old paper.

Credit must be given to these persons for creating the sentences:
  • Jack Windsor Lewis
  • John Maidment
  • Emilio Márquez

2 comments:

  1. I'm grateful to Kraut and his other contributors for some excellent additions to these cautionary examples of potentially misleading effects possible when a user of English fails to handle properly various items from our tricky functor gradation system.

    ReplyDelete