Wednesday 29 February 2012

a year in the merde

I'm reading Stephen Clarke's A Year in the Merde of 2004. It's about a Brit going to Paris to start a new job there. Some of the Parisian frogs try to speak English with him - in a more or less strong French accent. As one can't expect the average reader to be familiar with IPA symbols, the author tries to convey the accent by a kind of pronunciation spelling.

Here are some examples for you to enjoy. Can you guess their meanings?

sentence solution (to be published)
Alok for wah toowa king wizioo 1 I look forward to working with you
Ah'm ed of hah tee 2 I'm head of IT
Ah've done a yee-uh uv post-grad at Jo-ja state 3 I've done a year of post-grad at Georgia State


Stephen Clarke
credit: www.piper-verlag.de

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to walking with you.

    I'm head of IT. (Took me a while. I tried I made, I might, I'm out; of, have; high, I, our; tea. Best I could come up with before it hit me was "I'm out of our tea" and "I might have high tea".)

    I've done a year of post-grad at Georgia State.

    ReplyDelete